Act-o-Vial: In Case of Emergency
This is step-by-step instruction (with pictures) made by our Center to teach you how to inject Act-o-Vial Solucortef (injectable hydrocortisone) for Emergencies.
You can download it:
DR. KIM’S ACT-O-VIAL TIPS:
- Always check that the boxes say Act-o-vial (and aren’t just the Solu-cortef powder) before you leave the Pharmacy.
- Have multiple Act-o-vial kits at home.
- Make emergency bags with: 2 Act-o-vial kits, 4 needles and syringes, alcohol wipes, band-aids, emergency letter.
- Practice on your expired kits!
- Remember to take off the yellow tab – doing so before you press down on the cap will help you remember (and not poke through the plastic).
ADRENAL INSUFFICIENCY TEACHING VIDEO
This is a great video about stress-dosing and CAH, by Louise Fleming, NP and CARES Foundation. It is under 10 minutes long, and ideal to show to School Nurses and other caregivers.
- Stress-Dosing Education Video
ACT-O-VIAL RECYCLING PROGRAM
**YOU CAN HELP OTHERS WITH CAH LEARN THIS LIFE-SAVING INJECTION BY DONATING YOUR EXPIRED VIALS**
Your expired vials can make a big difference for others to learn how to inject Act-o-Vial at a CAH Education Event. Please send in your expired vials to CARES Foundation, without prescription information, and they will be used for education purposes by families.