Meal and Activity Routines
Romaine calm and keep eating healthy
- Everyone reacts differently to stressful situations. It is completely normal for our eating and routines to change in times of stress and uncertainty. Just remind yourself to take one day at a time.
- Use food resources available in your community – like school meals, food pantries/banks, farmers markets
- Use of fresh, frozen, canned fruits and vegetables! Choose those that are packed in their own juice, no-salt or low sodium options.
Keep moving- Ideas for physical activity
- PE with Joe – https://www.youtube.com/user/thebodycoach1/videos
- Cosmic Kids Yoga – https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga
- KIDZ BOP Dance Along Videos (available in multiple languages) – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKE0Xnj818IDaHvIcRiq0Bg
- Looking forward to get back into a routine? – plan meals for the week and make a shopping list to reduce stress. Have kids help in the kitchen too!
- Here are some ideas for every age:https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/wecan/downloads/cookwithchildren.pdf
- Plan ahead – https://nutrition.org/making-health-and-nutrition-a-priority-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic/
7 Easy Snack Ideas
- Apple slices + peanut butter, almond butter, etc
- Dried fruit + nuts
- Rice cracker + yogurt
- Yogurt + fruit + cheerios
- Celery sticks + peanut butter + raisins
- Boiled egg + 5 crackers
- Cottage cheese + fruit
Healthy Recipes and Resources
- https://www.eatright.org/coronavirus – org website has information on staying healthy during COVID-19 flu season, shopping safe, keeping foods safe at home, and physical activities. Available in English and Spanish.
- https://eatfresh.org/ – org website has easy recipes, free meal plans, free mini-education virtual classes, cooking videos, and local resources. Available in English, Spanish, and Chinese.
- https://www.superhealthykids.com/recipes/ – Super Healthy Kids website has easy recipes, meal plan ideas, physical activity ideas, parenting skills. Available in English only.
- https://recipes.heart.org/en/recipes – the American Heart Association website has heart healthy recipes, cooking skills videos, and healthy eating tips. Available in English only.
- http://first5california.com/health-center.aspx?id=1 – First 5 California website has a free downloadable cookbook, ideas for healthy eating and physical activity, and parenting support skills for the 0-5 years of age children. Available in English and Spanish.