TIPS AS YOU COPE WITH THE CHANGES DUE TO COVID-19:
Refill your medications and double-check your stress dose medications:
- Work your way up to having 4-6 Act-O-Vial kits at home
- Check the Act-O-Vial boxes before leaving the pharmacy – it should say Act-O-Vial, not just Solu-Cortef powder
- Make sure you have your oral medications for stress dosing.
Some of you have heard of a shortage in hydrocortisone manufactured by Greenstone (has “Cortef” stamped on the tablets) due to a distributor issue. You can still obtain generic hydrocortisone from manufacturers Impax and Vensun at pharmacies. Brand-name Cortef is also available for those who are authorized to obtain brand name.
Keep up general hygiene!! Here are some tips from CHLA:
- Regularly wash hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds. If soap is not available, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth as much as possible.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue that can be thrown away immediately.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that are frequently touched at home, work, and school.
- Stay home if you are sick!
CHLA tests for COVID-19 and gives vaccines and boosters to those who are eligible.
Call your pediatrician if your child has symptoms of COVID-19 or has been directly exposed to someone with the illness. For more information on COVID-19, check out https://www.chla.org/blog/health-and-safety-tips/what-you-should-know-about-the-novel-coronavirus-disease-covid-19 .